Where to find help

Where to find help

The Department of Resources (Resources) Engagement and Compliance Unit (ECU) offers an integrated and coordinated approach to engagement relating to the entire resources sector and not just gas. The ECU engages across the resources sector, the broader community that host resource activity as well as undertaking compliance activities in relation to resource activities where required.

ECU staff are skilled in dispute resolution and land access issues and have contacts with other State Government staff such as groundwater experts. The unit coordinates responses to enquiries and complaints relating to all mineral, coal and petroleum (oil and gas) resource industries. The ECU also coordinates engagement and compliance activities.

Click for more information on how Resources work to ensure that Queensland’s land, vegetation and mineral resources are managed fairly and responsibly to support sustainable economic prosperity and just outcomes for everyone.

For more information on Resources’ approach to regulation and compliance, download the Department of Resources ‘Regulatory Strategy 2021-25’, or the Department of Resources ‘Compliance Plan 2021-22’.

Important IconIf you wish to lodge a complaint, or report a suspected incident regarding resource exploration or development activities in your area – contact the Resource Community Infoline via:

The Office of Groundwater Impact Assessment (OGIA) is an independent entity established under Chapter 3A the Water Act 2000. It is housed within the Department of Regional Development, Manufacturing and Water.

OGIA are primarily responsible for assessing and managing the impacts of groundwater extraction from resource operations (petroleum and gas, and mining) in cumulative management areas (CMAs). CMAs are declared where impacts from resource development may overlap. OGIA’s core functions are to:

  1. undertake evidence-based independent scientific assessment of cumulative groundwater impacts from resource operations;
  2. set management arrangements within CMAs; and
  3. assign statutory responsibilities to tenure holders for the implementation of management strategies within CMAs.

Currently there is one CMA in Queensland—the Surat CMA, which provides for ongoing assessment and management of cumulative impacts from petroleum and gas development. In addition, OGIA has two other functions:

  1. provide advice to state government agencies on matters relating to groundwater impacts from resource development
  2. maintain a database of information relating to groundwater impacts from resource development.

The cumulative impact assessment and management arrangements are set out in an underground water impact report (UWIR). The report is prepared every 3 years to accommodate new scientific research, monitoring, and changes in industry’s development plans. The current active report is the UWIR 2019 and a consultation draft of the UWIR 2021 has been released.

Download all of the Office of Groundwater Impact Assessment’s UWIRs (including summary reports, full reports, appendices, addenda and public notices).

Follow these links to view videos that give an overview of the Surat CMA, the Geology of the Surat CMA and the Groundwater impact mechanism from CSG development.

The Department of Environment and Science (DES) protects and manages the State’s environment and natural resources with a gas industry focus on groundwater, chemical usage and waste disposal.

Before resource companies start any work on any operation, they must meet the requirements of a stringent approvals process that may vary according to the nature of activities (e.g. exploration, development or production). DES offer a wide variety of services, including but not limited to:

  • Expert advice on ‘make good’ provisions of the Water Act 2000
  • Environmental Authority (EA) definitions, offsets policy and best practice
  • Environment Impact Statement (EIS) advice
  • CSG water and environmental management.

Important IconClick for a range of relevant, accurate and current CSG information available to landholders and regional communities via the DES ‘Coal Seam Gas Information for Community and Landholders’ webpage.

Click for more information on how DES helps manage and regulate various resource activities including petroleum (including oil and gas), greenhouse gas storage, coal seam gas water, fraccing and noise, light and odour issues.

For more information on underground water management, download the ‘Quick Guide – Make Good Obligations–ESR/2016/2681’, or the ‘Underground water impact reports and final reports–ESR/2016/2000 (formerly EM1089)’.

The Land Access Ombudsman (LAO) officially opened its doors on 14 September 2018 to provide a free land access dispute resolution service for landholders and resource companies in Queensland.

The LAO investigates alleged breaches of Conduct and Compensation Agreements (CCAs) and Make Good Agreements (MGAs) and makes practical recommendations to resolve disputes. The LAO can refer or recommend possible offences and breaches to the relevant government department and it also provides advice to relevant Queensland State Government agencies about systemic issues arising from land access disputes.

The LAO aims to resolve disputes quickly and efficiently, with as little formality and technicality as possible – recommendations made by the LAO are not binding and are provided to parties as information or advice only.

Important IconThe LAO operates independently of the Queensland State Government and is not subject to direction by anyone. It is a free service for both landholders and resource companies in Queensland that have existing CCAs or MGAs.

For more information on the Land Access Ombudsman and what they do, download this fact sheet, or visit their ‘What we do’ webpage: www.lao.org.au.

To contact the LAO:

The Queensland Ombudsman is appointed under the Ombudsman Act 2001. The Ombudsman is an officer of the Parliament and is accountable to Parliament, not the government of the day. The Queensland Ombudsman has three main roles:

  1. to give people a timely, effective and independent way to have administrative actions of agencies investigated;
  2. to improve the quality of decision-making and administrative practice in government agencies; and
  3. oversight of the Public Interest Disclosure Act 2010.

The Queensland Ombudsman investigates complaints about the actions and decisions of state government departments and agencies (including state schools and TAFE), local councils and public universities. Our complaints assessment and investigation service is free and independent.

As well as assessing and investigating complaints, the Queensland Ombudsman also works with state government departments and agencies, local councils and public universities to improve their decision-making and administrative practices by:

  • making recommendations based on an investigation;
  • delivering training programs; and
  • providing advice.

Click to learn more about what we can investigate, what to expect if you make a complaint to us, and our training and administrative improvement services.

The Queensland Ombudsman Office can be contacted by:

The Land Court of Queensland (the Land Court) is a specialised judicial tribunal and court of record, established under the Land Court Act 2000. The Land Court hears and determines matters relating to land and natural resources.

The Land Court is committed to resolving disputes fairly, cost-effectively and efficiently. Before hearing and deciding a case, the Land Court encourages the parties to try to reach agreement using an Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) process. An ADR process is known as an “alternative” because it is a substitute to a court hearing and decision.

The Land Court encourages parties in all cases to try to reach agreement. The Land Court also encourages parties to consider using an ADR process before starting a case in the Land Court. The ADR processes available through the Land Court are:

You can attend an interview at the Land Court Registry in person, by phone or via Skype. Other services offered by the Land Court include:

To contact the Land Court: